Our Net Worth over the years

I was inspired by a fascinating post by S.B. at Retire At 45, where he charts his net worth over the last ten years.

For the record, here is how our net worth has changed over the last 10 years. Like S.B., I have been using Quicken for more than 10 years now, so it was easy to generate this chart.

Some clarifications regarding this chart:

  • The net worth figure does not include cars or any other physical assets except our house.
  • For the house, I have used the value of the house as assessed by our city. In fact, the sudden jumps in our net worth in 2001 and 2005 are partly due to increases in the assessed value of our house.
  • As you can see, we started seriously paying attention to saving and investing only in 2001.
I found the following quote from the post by S.B. very inspiring:
Once the net worth begins to increase significantly, there is a tremendous temptation to alter the original plan and spend a lot of what has been accumulated. This is what all the advertisements and salespeople in life try to entice one to do. But I am sticking with the plan. I think back and remember why I started down this road. It was not to enjoy big houses and luxury vehicles and leather sofas. [But] it was about the freedom to pursue my own goals in life unshackled from the daily grind of earning a paycheck.

8 comments:

Prasanth said...

Nigel,

Awesome what you can do when you stick with the plan. Wish I had also started 10 years back like you. Anyway, let me see what i can do in the next 10 years

S. B. said...

Nigel, great to see someone else with similar goals. I will be stopping back regularly to check on your progress.

On a technical note, I also use our property tax assessment to value our house. In our jurisdiction, property tax assessments are generally pegged at about 80% of fair market value, so I think it is a reasonably conservative estimate.

And thanks for the link. You write very well, and like most people, after one month you already have more posts than I do!

Nigel said...

Prasanth, thanks for the comment and good luck to you.

S.B, thanks for your kind words.

Sandeep said...

It would be good to see you post on "Sustaining growth in Net worth" ..

I have recently started taking interest in Personal Finance ..specially in Retirement planning & building net worth.

Sandeep

ST said...

Nigel,

Congratulations!!! I am happy to see the progress you made on gathering such good wealth.

I wish to share my achievements with you and readers. I kind of achieved similar goals. I started my carrier in the USA in mid 1999 as IT professional and I came back to India in early 2005. I also had almost nothing when I started and now I have something closer to yours... around 3 crore INR (including 2 BHK flat in Mumbai)

I am now 35, married and have a kid and I am retired (since last 2 years).

My only income is from my investments in Indian stock market (btw, I am an investor not trader)

Hope you reach your goals faster and safer.

Good Luck...

Nigel said...

ST,
Great to hear about your success, and thanks for the comment. It is remarkable since you started with nothing and achieved this in 6 years at the age of 35.

Investing only in the Indian markets (stock and/or real estate) appears quite risky to me in the long term -- have you considered investing outside of India as well?

ST said...

First all.. Happy new year wishes from India.

Yep, it took me close to 7 years of sleepless, late-working nights at the job to reach here. If it was 9 to 6 I would still be working :)

However, before going to the US I never though that I will ever retire. I used to think retirement is for old age people, who can't do much anyway. And to me retirement meant sitting idle, getting bored and being thrashed by your relatives and friends, you know, kind of a burden on this earth ;-)

Oh well, now I know the true meaning of retirement :)
Spending almost the entire day with the family, work some hours from home as freelancer (IT) for US based clients, and since I love to eat food as much as I love to cook them, I enjoy my time in kitchen as well, preparing food with my sole-mate :-)

On your concern on India being riskier, you are right in a sense that all my money is concentrated in one country. But than India has the best economic base for much healthier growth due to it's internal demands.
A very simple example, now even the maid that comes to clean our house and even the bhajiwali bai has a cell phone!!! It's no big deal, you would say, it's common in the US, but for India I think it's a huge achievement when you compare it just a few years back.
India is just at the beginning of a more curved growth horizon (it started somewhere in 2003) and it has to continue for the next 15 to 20 years (minimum) to meet the demand for infrastructure, natural resources like gas and oil, power, etc.
I am a believer.. India is the next super power and I am all set to ride it with fellow citizens.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

what is the ideal pie chart of networth i.e. what is the % breakup of assets possesed by a family.
cash, gold, fd's, property, shares, mutual funds, money lying ideal in banks etc.