At the of the first quarter of 2008, our Net Worth was $667,648.
Our Net worth increased by $9288 (or 1.4%) this quarter. The return on our overall portfolio for the quarter was a negative 1.9%, however.
I calculated our portfolio return using a neat formula that I first came across in the book The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio by William Bernstein. It goes like this:
First find the portfolio value at the start and at the end of the period. Next, calculate the Net inflow for the period which is total amount of money you added to the portfolio during the period minus any money you took out. The Net inflow may be positive or negative. Then,
Portfolio return = (Ending value-Net inflow/2)/(Starting value+Net inflow/2) - 1.
- Net Worth update - Fourth quarter 2007: Up 1.3%
- Net Worth update - Third quarter 2007: Up 6.1%
- Net Worth update - Second quarter 2007: Up 7.4%
- Net Worth update - First quarter 2007: Up 7.7%
- Our Net Worth over the years
- Financial goals for retirement
- Asset Allocation update: 2007 December