Net Worth Update - 2008 Fourth quarter: Down 7.5%

Our Net Worth report at the end of 2008 was $575,829.

Our Net worth decreased by $46,468 (or 7.5%) this quarter. This decline is in line with that of the overall market, so I am not overly concerned about it.

As I mentioned previously, I plan to stick with a 75/25 portfolio (75% Equities, 25% Fixed income). Due to the recent market decline, the percentage of stocks has fallen well below the 75% target. I haven't done any significant re-balancing yet, but have changed our 401(k) allocations for new money to 100% stocks. Other than that I haven't made any major changes yet, but hope to gradually get back to the 75/25 allocation by the end of 2009.

I have been posting our quarterly Net Worth report for the last two years, but I will take a break now partly because it takes too much work to do this on a quarterly basis, and partly because of concerns about our privacy. I already use Quicken to track our finances, and Quicken does all the tracking that I really need. In addition, I track all our accounts using Fidelity Full View service (provided by Yodlee).

I also realize that I haven't been posting as often as I would have liked. I have been busy with a different project (on an unrelated topic) and find it increasingly harder to post on this blog. I will likely take a break from posting here for sometime but hope to return to more regular posting at a later time. Thank you for reading and subscribing to this blog, and for the many encouraging comments and emails.

Related posts:

3 comments:

Laura @ move to portugal said...

I look forward to your return and good luck with your other project
Laura :)

Lee said...

Sorry to see you take a leave of absence from your great Blog. I've been following it for some time and have appreciated the perspective for "out of the box" thinking regarding retirement. Good luck with your other efforts and return soon.

Lee

Prasanna said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog and found a lot of the material quite informative. Wish you the best and hope you return back.

Prasanna